1. The first woman in space was
(a) Tamara Press (b) Sally Ride (c) Naidia Comenci (d) Valentina Tereshkova
2. Pt. Bhimsen Joshi is associated with which of the fallowing fields? .
(a) Literature (b) Social Services (c) Politics (d) Classical music
3. The name of the world’s second space tourist is
(a) Yuri Gidzenko (b) Roberto Vittori (c) Johnny Koroma (d) Mark Shuttleworth
4. Who is known as the ‘Lady with the Lamp’?
(a) Joan of Arc (b) Sarojini Naidu (c) Indira Gandhi (d) Florence Nightingale
5. Dr. Rashmi Mayur is a distinguished personality in which of the following fields?
(a) Literature (b) Economics (c) Architecture (d) Constitutional Law
6. Who was Dr. Salim Ali ?
(a) Sericulturist (b) Geologist (c) Space scientist (d) Ornithologist
7. Who among the following is famous as the ‘Tragedy King’ of Indian Cinema ? ’
(a) Raj Kapoor (b) Dilip Kumar (c) Bharat Bhushan (d) Ashok Kumar
8. Late Girilal Jain was a noted figure in which of the following fields?
(a) Politics (b) Journalism (c) Literature (d) Social Service (¢) Science & Technology
9. The Indian to beat the computers in mathematical wizardry is
(a) Raja Ramanna (b) Shakuntla Devi (c) Ramanujam (d) Rina Panigrahi
10. With which musical instrument was Ustad Mustaq Ali Khan associated ? ‘
(a) Shehnai (b) Flute (c) Sitar (d) Tabla
Answers – 1.d 2.d 3.d 4.d 5.c 6.d 7.b 8.b 9.b 10.c
11. Prof. Malcolm Adiseshiah earned world wide distinction in which of the following fields ?
(a) Nuclear Chemistry (b) Medicine (c) Economics (d) Literature
12. Who among the following is called ‘Father of German Unity’? .
(a) Mikhail Gorbachev (b) Helmut Kohl (c) George Bush (a) None of these
13. Crusade for human rights is associated with which of the following names?
(a) Brezhnev (b) Marshal Tito (c) Jimmy Carter (d) Morarji Desai
14. Who amongst the following is a famous Sarod player?
(a) Zakir Hussain (b) Hari Prasad Chourasia (c) Shiv Kumar Sharma (d) Amjad Ali Khan
15. Who headed the first scientific group to leave for Antarctica in 1982?
(a) Dr. V.K. Raina (b) Dr. H.K. Gupta (c) Dr. S.Z. Kasim (d) Dr. D.R. Sengupta
16. With which of the following fields is M.F. Hussian associated ?
(a) Music (b) Social work (c) Literature (d) Painting
17. Bachendri Pal became famous for her grand success in the field of
(a) athletics (b) skiing (c) swimming (d) mountaineering
18. Ustad Nasir Zahiruddin Dagar was a renowned singer of which of the following forms of music?
(a) Folk (b) Thumari (c) Khayal (d) Dhrupad
19. Vocalist Rahamat Khan belongs to
(a) Rampur Gharana (b) Kirana Gharana (c) Gwalior Ghama (d) Agra Gharana
20. Birju Maharaj is a well known exponent of
(a) Manipuri dance (b) Kathakali (c) Odissi Dance (d) Kathak
Answers- 11.c 12.b 13.c 14.d 15.c 16.d 17.d 18.d 19.c 20.d
21. Utpal Dutt had a reputation in which of the following fields ? .
(a) Music (b) Literature (c) Films (d) Journalism
22. Mr. Meera Sahib Fathima Beevi is distinguished as the first lady
(a) Judge of the High Court (b) Governor of a state (c) Judge of the Supreme Court (d) Gold medal winner in sports (e) Prime Minister of Bangladesh
23. Jude Felix has established reputation as an Indian player in which of the following games
(a) Hockey (b) Volleyball (c) Football (d) Golf (e) Tennis
24. Who among the following is an activist working for Chipko Movement in India ?
(a) Baba Amte (b) Swami Agnivesh (c) Sundarlal Bahuguna (d) Rawal
25. Who is known as the Father of Geometry ?
(a) Aristotle (b) Kepler (c) Euclid (d) Pythagoras
26. Bhim Sen Joshi has excelled himself in
(a) Light music (8) Vocal music (c) Instrumental music (d) Ghazals
27. Pandit K.G. Ginde, was well known for his contribution in which of the following ?
(a) Literature (b) Sanskrit (c) Ayurveda (d) Music
28. Who is known as the ‘saint of the gutters’ ?
(a) B.R. Ambedkar (b) Mother Teresa (c) Mahatma Gandhi (d) Baba Amte
29. Shambhu Maharaj was the exponent of
(a) Manipuri dance (b) Kathakali (c) Kathak (d) Bharatnatyam
30. Who among the following is popularly known as ‘Nightingale of India’ ?
(a) Lata Mangeshkar (b) Asha Bhonsle (c) Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit (d) Sarojini Naidu
Answers – 21.c 22.c 23.a 24.c 25.c 26.b 27.d 28.b 29.c 30.d
31. The first Indian to swim across English Channel was
(a) P. K. Banerji (b) Mihir Sen (c) V. Merchant (d) Arati Saha
32. Which of the following is not associated with vocal music ?
(a) Pandit Jasraj (b) Mallikarjun Mansur (c) Kishori Amonkar (d) Shiv Kumar Sharma
33. Taranath Shenoy is a distinguished personality in the field of
(a) Literature (b) Music (c) Sports (d) Painting
34. Vilayat Khan was associated with
(a) Shehnai (b) Tabla (c) Sitar (d) Flute
35. Who is known as Indian Bismarck ?
(a)Nehru (b) Rajaji (c) Patel (d) Kamraj
36. Who is responsible for the revolt in Fiji ?
(a) Lycenia Karate (6) Ratu Josefa Hoilo (c) George Speight (d) Lt. Matatini
37. A. Nageshwara Rao is associated with
(a) Social Service (b) Politics (c) Literature (d) Motion Picture
38. Jamini Roy was a famous
(a) Actor (b) Producer (c) Dancer (d) Painter
39. Kavita Dwivedi is associated with which of the following dance forms ?
(a) Odissi (b) Kathakali (c) Kathak (d) Bharatnatyam
40. Dr. V. Kurien has distinguished himself in which of the following areas ?
(a) Poultry farms (b) Economic Reforms (c) Dairy development (d) Atomic Energy
Answers – 31.b 32.d 33.c 34.c 35.c 36.c 37.d 38.d 39.a 40.c